From a thought to a book

If I were to try and explain the experience of writing a fictional novel, it would probably be best summed up with an analogy about planting a flower. Bare with me here folks; it’s not as corny as it sounds.

First of all, when you decide you want to plant a flower, you have an image in mind as to what you expect it to look like. You’ve seen thousands of flowers before after all, so you aren’t clueless as to its’ basic design. You may know the species of the flower, but there is no way to really predict how many leaves it will have, how many perfect peddles it will have, the precise color of the flower peddles when the sunlight hits it, how tall it will be, or whether it will thrive with the proper attention, or wither and die because it gets stepped on.
Writing a book is sort of like that; for me at least. I knew the basic shape and form I wanted it “look” like, but how it would turn out when it was all said and done was as much a surprise to me as it will be to you, my readers. It’s so fascinating to experience the book development first hand. As I wrote, ideas and words would come to color and shape my initial impressions and ideas to make the fuller and deeper. My subconscious mind was connecting dots and redirecting story angles that my conscious mind was still puzzling out. I had so many moments where answers were coming as I wrote. At times I felt like I was watching it in my head and just documenting what I was witnessing. It’s such a trip! A really great, fun, and elating trip!

As I wrote I was witnessing the further creation of my characters personalities, morbid or atypical histories, twisted acts of fate, and moments of enlightenment. I felt like I was watching the flower grow and bloom right before my eyes and was awed by the creation.
I am so excited to see what will happen in book 1 and 2 during the coming months as my editor and I start getting it ready for production and distribution. I can’t wait to have a printed copy in my hands, whole, solid and real. Spring 2013 is coming fast! As soon as they have the Authors Website up with the book e-commercials I’ll post the links.

Thank you for reading. Have a fabulous day!
R. J. Machado De Quevedo
Follow me on Twitter under @TheDeceiverBook

Comments